Ann R. Pieper
Ann R. Pieper is a Shareholder and Partner at Kavanagh, Scully, Sudow, White and Frederick P.C.
Ann regularly advises clients on policies and procedures to reduce litigation exposure, advises clients on concerns prior to adverse action, and litigates on behalf of her clients in court and at the administrative agency level. Ann's approach to law is practical and realistic as she aspires to identify her clients' problems and find workable and long term solutions.
Ann specializes her practice in municipal law, employer's side labor and employment concerns including union and non-union negotiations, school law, and family law (with a focus on the collaborative process and mediation).
As a certified mediator, trained in Collaborative Law processes, Ann takes a practical, solution based approach to her litigation, negotiations, and family law cases. Ann is commonly appointed in the Tenth Judicial Circuit to serve as a Guardian Ad Litem, investigating and reporting on the best interests of the child to the Court.
Ann and her family reside in Morton, Illinois.
Areas of Practice:
Labor and Employment (including Contract negotiations, review and policy)
Special Education Law
Family Law, with a preference for Collaborative or Mediated approaches
Bar Admissions & Certifications:
- State of Illinois Courts, 2008
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2009
- Illinois State Teaching Certificate, Secondary Education, Type 9, 2004
- Mediation Certification, 2013
- Collaborative Law Certification, 2016
- JD - Northern Illinois University College of Law, DeKalb, Illinois, 2008.
- Secondary Education Certification post Master's level coursework - Roosevelt University, 2004.
- M.A., Master of Arts, International Relations and Policy, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, 1998.
- B.A., Political Science & International Relations, Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois, 1995.
Speaking Engagements & Publications:
Overview of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Springfield Illinois, National Business Institute Seminar, February 5, 2016
Specifics of Maintaining and Handling Student Records, Springfield, Illinois, National Business Institute Seminar, February 5, 2016
Allocation of Parental Responsibilities and Relocation under the IMDMA as Revised, Peoria, Illinois, Public Interest Law Initiative and Prairie State Legal Services Seminar on Family Law Basics, February 15, 2016
Independent Contractor, or Not? The Dangers Inherent in Misclassifying Your Employees, Peoria, Illinois, Peoria Chamber of Commerce Seminar for Business Owners, March 1, 2016.
"The Public Duty Rule Ends in Illinois," Illinois State Bar Association Local Government Law Section Newsletter. March 2016.
Associations and Community:
Peoria County Bar Association, Tazewell County Bar Association, National Council of School Attorneys, International Association of Collaborative Law Professionals, Peoria Downtown Rotary.